Friday, March 20, 2009

Random Thought.

Today my dad suggested a very interesting point. He told me to imagine television media being replaced with books, but that it had the same affect. Instead of being ignored by a person watching television, you would get ignored by a person reading. Instead of channel surfing, a person would books surf, flipping through the pages of multiple books.

The point is, this could be reality. Regardless of how great the meduim is, America is just obsessed with obsessing.

Reading is a great alternative to television. While one could argue that it is just as anti-social as television (as my friend did tonight), there are a lot more pros (which I pointed out, and she agreed with me). For starters, there are more educational books than educational shows. Reading leaves room for the mind and imagination to play. The writing is usually more eloquent. The content is typically better. It lacks commercials.


Unfortunately, its less appealing than television, especially to the majority of this generation. But if we have to obsess over something, I'd rather America be obsessed with reading than television.

No comments:

Post a Comment