Thursday, March 5, 2009

1. I'm concerned.


[Pam Brady is the California State PTA President, 2007-2009.]

Dear Pam Brady,

I am concerned for the youth of America. Actually, I am concerned for all of America, but is to late for most of America, and I must begin my mission somewhere.

Television upsets me. The damage it creates intellectually, academically and socially is arguably powerful, yet irreversible. In the past five years I have worked as a hostess, server, nanny and pre-school teacher’s assistant. From these jobs I have gained a unique insight into the lives of families, their children and their televisions—yes, plural.

My blog serves to enlighten the reader on the reality of reality. Many of us need to wake up and realize that television is fiction: it was created and written by our fellow beings. I will use my personal experiences to explain an array disappointing moments I have observed in my many professions, moments that exemplify the damage television has on our society.

But my ultimate goal is to persuade you, Ms. Brady, to implement “Turn Off Weeks”. This would entail a promotion within each PTA-associated school, which suggests families turn off their televisions for a solid week. According the Center for Screen-Time Awareness, “Former US Surgeon General Dr. David Satcher said at the Kick Off of Turnoff Week 2001, ‘We are raising the most overweight generation of youngsters in American history...This week is about saving lives.’” The act of watching television is so much more, or less, if you will, than watching television.

I have done my homework and see that PTA offers resources about Children’s Issues and Community Concerns from Common Sense Media. It is a valiant effort, and my complaints are not meant to discredit it at all. However, some of the information provided worries me. For example, Common Sense Media suggests that parents limit screen time to 2 hours per day. This adds up to 30 days in one year—one entire month. And I bet there are plenty of children that watch more than 2 hours a day. Imagine the other things a child could do in a month rather than passively watching television! Common Sense Media offered several quite valid suggestions, such as controlling the content or not allowing media during homework, meals and bed time. But ultimately there is a lack of understanding about the severity of this issue.

Parents and educators need to understand the impact television has on children. Why is this relevant? Why do I care about the television habits of children? Why should everyone? Because children become adults. And currently, I am surrounded by adults that used to be television-watching children. Most of them are now consumed by the media.

As a child I experienced anxiety when I missed an episode of Full House. As an adult I recognized the absurdity of this. I am tired of hearing my friends say “I’m missing my shows” when we are out having good, clean, interactive fun! I am taking action, and I hope you will join me. Thank you for your time.

Stay Tuned,
Erin

No comments:

Post a Comment